The company was started in the early 1990s by the late John Matternas, a veteran insurance executive who was active in the development of niche insurance programs as well as captives and other alternative risk transfer models. The company was built on the STRENGTH of his 60-year tenure in the insurance industry. John started out in Philadelphia as a cub salesman for Liberty Mutual at a time when the salesmen (there were no women!) wore hats and rode the streetcar to their appointments. In his career, he worked for a mutual company and a stock company, owned retail agencies and a captive management firm, all culminating in the formation of Intercorp in 1991.
Since then, we have developed and managed programs as diverse as pollution insurance for dry cleaners and inland marine insurance for numismatic dealers. The common thread in all our programs is creativity in crafting coverages needed by a specific group or class, strong underwriting discipline, and targeted marketing.
Intercorp manages insurance programs and operates as a wholesale broker in the professional and environmental liability fields. From our offices in Ephrata, Pennsylvania, we serve agents, brokers, and clients in all 50 states.
- Real Estate Appraisers
- Home Inspectors
- Appraisal Management Companies
Professional Liability Brokerage
- Real Estate-Related Classes (Agents and Brokers, Title Agents, Property Managers, Mortgage Brokers, Property Preservation)
- Architects and Engineers
- Accountants, Lawyers, Technology, Consultants, Miscellaneous Professionals
- Directors & Officers Liability for Risk Retention Groups and Captives
Environmental Liability Brokerage
- Dry Cleaners
- Storage Tanks
- Contractors Pollution (Including various combination policies)
- Environmental for Agriculture
- Site Pollution
- First, you get SERVICE with a capital “S.” While many companies brag about their outstanding service, Intercorp follows through. It is our goal to always exceed your expectations.
- Second, we deliver our service with a human touch. While technology is great, and it allows us to process information and paperwork more efficiently, we never lose sight of the fact that the insurance business is built on strong relationships. All the emails in the world do not replace a human voice on the telephone, a personal visit, or a personal connection at a meeting.
- Finally, we are innovative in finding solutions to your insurance requirements. Our staff is composed of creative thinkers who take the time to listen to your needs and understand your problem or question. Mix that creativity with our ability to navigate the insurance marketplace, throw in a healthy dose of common sense, and you have an unbeatable combination.
Every insurance program in existence today (and there are many, many programs) got their start with the nugget of an idea, a healthy dose of optimism and creativity, and plenty of hard work.
Intercorp used the same formula to create programs as diverse as pollution insurance for dry cleaners and errors and omissions insurance for real estate appraisers and home inspectors.
But we also work with insurance agents and brokers, reinsurance intermediaries, or insurance companies, as well as association and affinity groups, to manage and develop existing programs. We like to look at it as doing the “heavy lifting” – you have the program or the idea but need the horses to make it happen.
With our knowledge of insurance programs, our licensing in all states, and our keen sense of the ingredients necessary to produce a successful program, we can manage all aspects of your program for you or just specific segments.
For details on our program management capabilities, contact us. We would love to talk to you!
Intercorp’s program capabilities lead us naturally into the arena of nontraditional program structures that provide us such vehicles as captives and risk retention groups. We offer custom-designed programs and apply our knowledge and experience to create innovative risk transfer solutions for our customers. We will work with you to help you create a facility that meets your risk management and risk financing goals.
We do this by helping you determine what you are looking to achieve with an alternative funding program. Then we put our 25-plus years of experience to work for you, bringing in the appropriate partners for each segment of your proposed operation. In this way, expenses are kept at a manageable level as you will only incur costs specific to your program.
Why Intercorp? We have broad experience and affiliated partnerships to provide clients with valuable input and guidance in selecting the appropriate Alternative Risk Structure. We have access to the necessary resources to clarify your vision, develop and create the facility, craft the product, maintain and provide oversight. Contact us for details.